A Message from New UHD President Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz

Dear UHD Family,

Throughout my career in higher education, I’ve been fortunate to serve successful institutions driven by talented teams and individuals. This week, I am pleased to officially join the University of Houston-Downtown, which definitely epitomizes this description.

Since being selected as the University’s president, I’ve visited the campus several times. Still, it’s particularly special to arrive here as a permanent member of the UHD campus.

To those who have been so gracious in welcoming myself and my family to Houston, I say “Thank you.” Your warmth and support is much appreciated. And to those whom we have not met, please introduce yourself when you see us on campus. My family and I look forward to connecting with as many of you as possible.

My arrival comes at a momentous time. Thanks to the hard work of my predecessor Michael A. Olivas and many others, the University is positioned to achieve great things. A major gift and substantial land purchase have been game changers for UHD, and I know more opportunities of distinction are around the corner. Accomplishments such as these would not be possible without the efforts of our entire Gator community, and I look forward to working alongside everyone to take the University to even greater heights.

It’s definitely an exciting time to be on campus and in Houston. With all of its diversity and industry, this is truly a global city.

I see a reflection of this great city here at UHD as our students personify Houston’s “can do” attitude. Everything I’ve learned about their achievements in the classroom and community is impressive. Likewise, I am aware of the challenges faced by our students, particularly those who balance careers and families. I fully recognize the daily sacrifices they make and the tenacity required to complete their academic journeys. Our students’ efforts are indeed remarkable, and I am committed to their success.

And I can’t applaud our students without recognizing the extraordinary faculty who inspire them in the classroom and our staff members who provide tireless guidance and support.

I would be remiss without saluting more than 40,000 alumni who are making Houston bigger and better. These alums bolster the city’s economy and impact our community in a variety of critical ways.

UHD’s triumphs are the result of innovation and talent. More importantly, this institution benefits from teamwork. It takes collaboration and cooperation to get things done, and that’s been the case here at UHD. All of you have played a role in making the University a rising star in both Houston and the state of Texas.

It is truly a privilege to join this winning team, as well as to work together to help our students Finish UHD Strong.

Sincerely,

Dr. Juan Sanchez Muñoz, UHD President