Invest in Blue – UHD Here, We Go.

Dear UHD Community:

Thank you for participating in a memorable week of events at the University of Houston-Downtown. Our Invest in Blue events celebrated the University’s successes and its vision for the future. Most importantly, these events reflected the hard work and commitment of our entire Gator Family.

We began the week with Open House and Homecoming—a UHD tradition that provided opportunities for students, faculty and staff to showcase their Gator Pride.

On Monday, I delivered my first Report to the Community, spotlighting just some of the UHD heroes who helped our campus recover after Harvey. My presentation also showcased notable achievements and goals for the future. In short, this wasn’t my report … it was your report. All of the accomplishments I cited were made possible by the talented faculty, staff and students here at UHD.

Earlier that day, I had the opportunity to greet former faculty and staff members during a special Retirees Luncheon. In attendance was my predecessor, former UHD President, Dr. Max Castillo. I enjoyed hearing stories about the University’s history from Dr. Castillo and others who helped grow UHD into the institution it is today.

On Tuesday, we welcomed a few familiar faces back to campus: Marilyn Davies and former UHD Interim President Michael A. Olivas. Both were present at the sign unveiling; and the climax of the event was lifting the tarp off the Shea Street Building’s new signage in brilliant silver lettering. The name, “Marilyn Davies College of Business,” now can be seen by all of Houston.

The always humble Ms. Davies said it best:
“My name might be on this building, but every brick belongs to you.”

We also announced the kickoff for our capital campaign, UHD Here, We Go, which outlines our plans to raise $25 million by 2020. Funds will support student success, faculty development, campus growth and community engagement. I was pleased to welcome many friends of UHD to campus, including alumna and UH System Regent Paula Mendoza and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner.

We concluded the weeklong Invest in Blue activities with Pizza with a Purpose—this was an opportunity to connect with fellow Gators over lunch and a community engagement activity; and the Alumni Fall Social Series that welcomed back alums for an event in our O’Kane Gallery.

It was a busy week that brought together Gators and Houstonians to celebrate this great institution. None of these events would have been possible without you. Your commitment to UHD is inspiring, and I thank you for all that you do. This week’s events may have concluded, but day after day, I can always count on all of you to Invest in Blue.

Sincerely,

Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz, UHD President