2019 Report to the Community

Dear UHD Community,

Thank you to those who attended yesterday’s Report to the Community.

This was my third university-wide fall address since I arrived at the University in 2016, and I was pleased to share just some of UHD’s success stories from the past year, as well as our upcoming goals.

During the presentation, I addressed topics including the new College of Sciences & Technology Building; recent legislative support that is paving the way for a new Wellness & Success Center; and the results of a new study reflecting UHD’s $2 billion economic impact on the region.

Additionally, I discussed UHD’s growing presence as a site for national events, such as the recent “Education Now” town hall presented by NBC News and KPRC. I also cited significant accomplishments such as UHD earning a Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award and a Council for Advancement and Support of Education fundraising award.

The report also acknowledged the efforts of faculty and staff members in supporting our students during Tropical Storm Imelda. And lastly, my remarks honored our good friend and former provost Ed Hugetz. As stated in a previous message, Ed is calling it a career at UHD, and we are profoundly grateful for his service.

I was particularly pleased to share news regarding merit raises. Based on the tireless efforts of UHD’s faculty and staff that resulted in the University achieving its enrollment and retention goals, a 2.5 percent merit pool for eligible employees was announced.

While this Report to the Community is delivered by UHD’s President, it is made possible by everyone. The dedication of the entire University community provides the foundations for this annual address. And, it is paying off with more students attending UHD, more Gators graduating, and greater prosperity for our city and region.

Thank you for your hard work.

Sincerely,

Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz, UHD President