Reflecting on 2019 and Ready for 2020

Dear UHD Community,

As you’re aware, the University of Houston-Downtown campus will close Dec. 23, 2019 – Jan. 1, 2020 for the Winter Break.  The University reopens on Jan. 2, 2020.

Whether you remain in Houston or travel to visit family and friends, I wish you a safe holiday season.

I also encourage you to reflect on UHD’s many outstanding accomplishments that took place in 2019.

Among those were last weekend’s 67th Commencement ceremonies at Minute Maid Park. I’m always honored to congratulate our graduates as they cross the stage, but it is also gratifying to see the many volunteers who make these events possible. Last weekend, our faculty, staff and students worked tirelessly to ensure a memorable program. I would like to thank those volunteers for making each ceremony an extraordinary experience for our graduates and their families.

Fall Commencement was just one of the highlights of 2019, and 2020 already is shaping up to be another banner year. We will formally celebrate the addition of the new College of Sciences & Technology Building on Jan. 9. Later in the month, members of the Gator Community will commit their time and energies to helping Houstonians during GatorServe on Jan 18 (in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.).

Both events will help kick off a new year and a new decade at UHD … and more highlights are yet to come. Such achievements are made possible by your passion and dedication, and I am honored by your commitment to our University.

Enjoy your time off. I look forward to seeing you in 2020.

Sincerely,

Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz, UHD President