A Dynamic Debut for Mariachi Los Caimanes

Dear UHD Community,

Last night, UHD’s Mariachi Los Caimanes debuted to a full house in the Wilhelmina Cullen Robertson Auditorium. Those of you who were in attendance will certainly attest that the student musicians were in fine form, and it was a very entertaining event.

I would like to offer my sincerest congratulations to those who made this event possible, including Dr. Meritza Tamez, interim Dean of Students and particularly José Vazquez, Assistant Director of Student Activities, who recruited the student musicians and coordinated the performance. I would especially like to credit the members of Mariachi Los Caimanes, who were undaunted in their first full concert performance.

This ensemble is a tremendous addition to our campus because it reflects our students’ pride in representing their cultural heritage and the University. It should be noted that Los Caimanes is a volunteer organization. Everyone involved participates because of their passion for this music and their University.

If you missed last night’s performance, I can assure you that it was a very proud moment here at UHD and the start of something special on campus.

Again, my thanks to all involved in this project.

Sincerely,

Dr. Juan Sánchez Muñoz
President, University of Houston-Downtown